This is a simple Witbier that will be fermented hot with a Kveik yeast.
- French Pilsner - 4.5lbs
- Flaked White Wheat - 4.5lbs
- Rice Hulls - 1lb
- Magnum (12.8 %AA) - .17 oz 75min
- Saaz (5.4 %AA) - .2 oz 15min
- Fuggle (5.3 %AA) - .2 oz 15min
- Bootleg Biology - Aurora
- Coriander Seed - .5g 5min
- Sweet Orange Peel - .25oz 5min
- 1.27g CaCl2
- 0.69g MgSO4
- 1.32g CaSO4
- 3mL 88% Lactic Acid
- 1.13g CaCl2
- 0.62g MgSO4
- 1.18g CaSO4
- 1.5 mL 88% Lactic Acid
Added 20L of boiling water to mash tun before starting heat on my mash water in order to pre-heat the mash tun.
Outdoor temperature is 82F.
Heating 3.96 gallons of water to 157.1F.
Mash started at 1412.
Mash temp at 1417 is 149.0F (taken at 4 different locations in mash)
Heating 4.27 gallons of water to 167F for sparge.
Mash out at 1515.
Mash temp at 1515 is 147.5F
Sparging out at 1538.
Boil reached at 1605.
First hop addition at 1620
Last hop addition at 1735.
Wort chiller put into pot at 1735.
Coriander and Orange Peel added at 1745.
Heat cut at 1750. Cooling to 95F before racking into fermenter and pitching the yeast.
Boil-off was way higher than expected and the batch will need to be diluted with 1 gallon of water tomorrow.
6/10/2019 - 9AM no visible signs of fermentation as of yet. I forgot to add the yeast nutrient to the boil, so will be adding it to the wort today.
6/15/2019 - Racked into keg for force carbing.
SG: Forgot to take one =(
OG: 14.2 brix (1.055) diluted to approximately 1.045
FG: 5.8 brix 1.06
- Keg was finished rather quickly at an event. It turned out really well, and I will definitely be brewing this again. Notes of orange were a little overpowering to me, but others enjoyed it.