Batch #15 - Mushroom Beer (Snörkel) #1

Philip de Greylonde published on
3 min, 586 words

This is slightly modified clone of Snörkel from Jester King brewing. They released homebrew recipes for a few of their favorite beers (including this one) recently and I am taking advantage of that, but utilizing ingredients that are easier for me to acquire.



  • Heidelberg Pilsner – 2.75 lbs
  • White Wheat Malt – 1.5 lbs
  • White Wheat – 1 lb


  • US Golding - .5 oz – 60 min – 4.5% AA (~9-10 IBU)


  • Bottle harvested Jester King house culture (harvested from a bottle of 2018 Kollaborationsbier)


  • Enoki Mushrooms – 2.5 oz – Whirlpool
  • Himalayan Pink Salt - .3 oz – Whirlpool

Brewday Notes

Mash will be at 150F for 70 minutes. This will also be a 90 minute boil due to the amount of pilsner malt in the mash, this is to prevent DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide tastes like creamed or canned corn, and is not wanted in most beers) in the final beer.

Strike water is 1.71 gallons at 164.6F (outside temperature is 50F). Mash started at 1405. Goal mash temperature is 150F for 75 minutes. Temperature after 5 minutes of rest was 144.6F, adding .75 liters of boiling water, this will definitely result in a slightly thin mash.

Mash temps are just not stable today, with the rain and the cold wind the temperature in the mash tun is dropping very quickly. I've now added an additional 1.5 liters of boiling water and the mash is 148F at 1430. Mash at 147.8F at 1438.

Mash temp at 1547 is 132F.

Due to the low temperatures and concerns over conversion rates, I am doing a second mash with 2 gallons of 165F strike water. Started at 1550. Mash temp at 1605 was 148.8F

Sparge was 157F after adding 2.5 gallons at 175F (the cold is just throwing off all of my temperature targets).

Sparged at 1645, and started heating wort for the boil.

Boil reached at 1710.

Hops added at 1742.

Wort chiller and ~1/2tsp of yeast nutrient put into kettle at 1826.

For the mushroom additions, I have 7oz of pre-packaged Enoki Mushrooms from an Asian market. I cut the bottom quarter off the mushrooms, and split off 2.5oz of them. These will be added to the whirlpool after boil. The original recipe also calls for Alderwood Smoke Sea Salt, which I do not have. I am just using pink Himalayan salt instead.

Wort cooled to 85F by 1945.

Transferred wort, I should have boiled for longer as there was a little under a gallon of trub.

Pitched 1/3 gallon of starter at 68F at 9AM the next day (I spaced and didn't pitch the night of brewing).


This will be fermented inside the house instead of in my crawlspace as I normally would because it is currently too cold. Fermentation is expected to take 6-10 weeks with this mixed culture.

12/17/2018 - 2145 still no real signs of fermentation

12/30 /2018 - Primary fermentation has completed and a pellicle has formed on the beer. It is now going to be left to age for the next 3-6 months based on taste.

2/4/2019 - Gravity is now down to 3.8 brix (1.007). The beer is clean, and a touch salty. Brett and lacto seem to be slowly showing themselves more.

4/1/2019 - Gravity still holding around 3.7-3.8 brix. More of a farmhouse character has started to show, with more brett and funk.

Refractometer Readings

SG: 5 brix (1.020)

OG: 6.6 brix (1.026)

FG: 3.8 brix (1.006)

Tasting Notes

** TODO **